Here are my picks for the most promising local New Year's Eve gigs:
- Local H, Sybris, Office and Big Science at Bottom Lounge - Any fan of home-brewed music would do well to catch this one. Tried and true locals Local H combined with a few of Chicago's finest more recently-formed bands is sure to add up to a killer New Year's Eve. 8 p.m., 21+, $35. More info and tickets.
- Jay Reatard with Miss Alex White and The Yolks at Empty Bottle - Lauded Tennessee garage punker Jay Reatard will be joined by locals Miss Alex White (a.k.a White Mystery) and The Yolks for a loud and fast New Year's Eve celebration. 10 p.m., 21+, $25. More info and tickets.
- The Sea & Cake with Chandeliers at Schubas - These critically-acclaimed Chicago indie rock staples recently released their eighth LP, "Car Alarm." 10 p.m., 21+, $40. Drink specials: $3 Bud Light Drafts, $4 Titos Vodka cocktails, $4 Jim Beam cocktails and a champagne toast at midnight. For $30, attendees can add on a private pre-party from 7:30 to 9:30 that includes two hours of drinks and appetizers. More info and tickets.
- The Dandy Warhols at Metro - Portland's Dandy Warhols have been releasing records since 1995, gaining widespread recognition with their Velvet Underground-inspired psych pop. Robert Been of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club will spin a special DJ set. 9 p.m., 18+, $55 advance, $65 day of. More info and tickets.
- Tight Phantomz and Cougars at Quencher's - Locals Tight Phantomz play down 'n' dirty, 70s-inspired rock 'n' roll that's perfect for a partying in the New Year. Fellow Chi-Town band Cougars will also be on hand to bring the rock. 9 p.m., 21+, $10 cover. More info.