Besides getting out and seeing shows at Chicago's best venues, the best way to discover new music is by catching worthwhile local radio shows and Internet broadcasts. Sure, a lot of radio stations and shows don't play much worth listening to, but here are some that can truly serve as a valuable resource in finding your new favorite bands:
- Radio One: Chicago - This show broadcasts on independent community radio station WLUW 88.7 FM every Thursday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., playing the best of new and old Chicago bands as well as occasional live sets from local acts and touring acts stopping through. On any given show you can catch local favorites such as Office, The Sea and Cake and The Changes.
- Indiesomnia! - This free, convenient weekly podcast goes up for download every Thursday at midnight and features playlists that includes a mix of local indie bands, more widespread acts and classic tunes of the past. Play it at home or fire it up on the go via your iPod and your day will most definitely rock a lot harder.
- Sound Opinions on Chicago Public Radio (WBEZ 91.5 FM) - Notable local music critics Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune and Jim DeRogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times interview musicians, review albums past and present and explore a plethora of topics such as the history of bubblegum pop, the greatest soundtracks and the best lead-off tracks. While this show doesn't have a local focus, it covers a wide range of sounds and topics, ensuring you'll learn something with every broadcast. Examples of past guests: Ray Davies, Tori Amos, Radiohead, Lupe Fiasco and The New Pornographers. Listen Fridays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 11 a.m.
- Local Anesthetic on WXRT (93.1 FM) - This is XRT's Chicago-centered show, playing mostly new releases from Windy City bands. The show also features band profiles, exclusive live sets and interviews. Catch it Sundays at 7:30 p.m. You can also download past shows at podcasts on the show Web site.
- Local 101 on Q101.1 FM - If you're less into "indie rock" or "indie pop" and more into an alternative rock sound, check out Q101's local show, Local 101. The show broadcasts Sundays at 10 p.m. and features a playlist full of Chicago rock acts.